The Ending: What I Expected

When we started reading The Scarlet Letter, I expected the ending to be happy. Honestly, I thought Hester, Pearl, and the anonymous father would be united as a family. I suppose I just wanted a happy ending for Hester. I did not like the way the novel ended. I didn't like that as soon as Dimmesdale owned up to his sin, he died. I would have liked to see the Puritan society and Dimmesdale's congregation's reaction to his shocking confession. I was curious as to whether his congregation would have accepted his sin and still view him as a "mouthpiece of Heaven's messages of wisdom and love", or, most likely, if their view of him as a Holy man completely shifted. 
The novel was unclear about Dimmesdale's death. At first I was unsure of the cause- Was he so guilty he died because of it? Or did he punish himself so much for his sin that it lead to his death? Or did Chillingworth's plot for revenge prevail? I guess Hawthorne left this up to the reader. I believe it was his guilt that killed him, and seeing that Dimmesdale was so remorseful for his sin completely changed my view of him. At first I found him hypocritical, but throughout the novel I saw how truly sorry he is for his sin. 
Although I didn't like the ending of the novel, I guess it was the most appropriate way for it to end. I wanted a happy ending, but that would not increase the quality of Hawthorne's work.  It would be unrealistic if Dimmesdale and Hester succeeded in fleeing the country and had a "happily ever after."

No comments: